Since 2010, 67 shale gas exploration wells, including 16 directional/horizontal ones, have been completed in Poland. Two more exploratory wells are in drilling: Majdan Sopocki – 1, at the Tomaszów Lubelski Concession (Lublin, Province, Tomaszów Lubelski District, Susiec Commune) held by PGNiG SA, and Rawicz 12 SL-1, at the Rawicz Concession (Wielkopolskie Province, Rawicz District, Rawicz Commune) held by San Leon Rawicz Sp. z o.o. Orlen Upstream Sp. z o.o. is about to spud in its Pęclin - OU1 Well at Kąck, Wiązowna Commune (Wołomin Concession).
In the past years, the progress of shale gas exploration drilling was as follows:
- 2010 - 3 wells,
- 2011 - 12 wells,
- 2012 - 24 wells,
- 2013 - 14 wells,
- 2014 (as of 1 December) - 14 wells.
There are 56 active concessions for exploration and/or appraisal of hydrocarbons, including shale gas, in Poland. The concessions were awarded to 17 Polish and foreign concession holders that are members of 14 capital groups.
In terms of concessions held, PGNiG is the leader with 12 concessions, followed by Orlen Upstream Sp. z o.o. with 9 of them and Lotos Petrobaltic SA with 8 offshore concessions.
Four shale gas exploration wells are scheduled for drilling in the near future, namely:
- Zwierzyniec-2 Well in Szczebrzeszyn Commune, Zamość District, Lublin Province, Zwierzyniec Concession; Investor: Chevron Polska Energy Resources Sp. z o.o.,
- Jackowo LEP-1 (LEP-1ST1H) Well in Choczewo Commune, Wejherowo District, Pomeranian Province, Lębork Concession; Investor: Lane Energy Poland Sp. z o.o.,
- Lewino-2h Well in Linia Commune, Wejherowo District, Pomerania Province, Gdańsk W Concession; Investor: Baltic Oil&Gas Sp. z o.o.,
- Pęclin -OU1 Well in Wiązowna Commune, Otwock District, Mazowieckie Province, Wołomin Concession; Investor: Orlen Upstream Sp. z o.o. (to be spud-in in mid December 2014).
Special jobs have been performed in some of the wells to initially assess the shale gas production potential. Hydraulic fracturing was performed in 25 wells (37% of all wells drilled), including 12 horizontal legs. DFIT (Diagnostic Fracture Injection Test) was performed in 4 wells. Special jobs are still to be made in 38 wells.