Status of shale gas exploration projects, as of November 2014
The Ministry of the Environment announced the latest update on the status of shale gas exploration in Poland as of 1 November 2014.
Since 2010, 67 shale gas exploration wells, including 16 directional/horizontal ones, have been completed in Poland. One exploratory well is in drilling: Majdan Sopocki -1 Well at Tomaszów Lubelski Concession (Lublin Province, Tomaszow District, Susiec Commune) held by PGNiG SA.
In the past years, the progress of shale gas exploration drilling was as follows:
- 2010 - 3 wells,
- 2011 - 12 wells,
- 2012 - 24 wells,
- 2013 - 14 wells,
- 2014 (as of 3 November) - 14 wells.
There are 60 active concessions for exploration and/or appraisal of hydrocarbons, including shale gas, in Poland. The concessions were awarded to 19 Polish and foreign concession holders that are members of 16 capital groups.
Three shale gas exploration wells are scheduled for drilling in the near future, namely:
- Zwierzyniec-2 Well in Szczebrzeszyn Commune, Zamość District, Lublin Province, Zwierzyniec Concession; Investor: Chevron Polska Energy Resources Sp. z o.o.,
- Jackowo LEP-1 (LEP-1ST1H) Well in Choczewo Commune, Wejherowo District, Pomeranian Province, Lębork Concession; Investor: Lane Energy Poland Sp. z o.o.,
- Lewino-2h Well in Linia Commune, Wejherowo District, Pomerania Province, Gdańsk W Concession; Investor: Baltic Oil&Gas Sp. z o.o.,
Special jobs have been performed in some of the wells to initially assess the shale gas production potential. Hydraulic fracturing was performed in 25 wells (37% of all wells drilled), including 12 horizontal legs. DFIT (Diagnostic Fracture Injection Test) was performed in 4 wells. Special jobs are still to be made in 38 wells.
List of shale gas exploration projects – completed and in progress
- Map of shale gas exploration weels (as of 3 October 2014)
- Completed shale gas exploration wells, including special jobs made (as of 3 November 2014)
- Shale gas concessions (as od 1 November 2014)
- Map of shale gas concessions (as of 30 September 2014)
- Shale gas concession holders (as of 1 October 2014)