The Ministry of the Environment published an update on the status of shale gas exploration in Poland, as of 1 October 2014
Since 2010, 66 shale gas exploration wells, including 15 horizontal legs, have been drilled in Poland. One exploration well – Stręczyn OU1-K in the Wierzbica Concession (Lublin Province, Łęczna District, Cyców Commune) held by Orlen Upstream Sp. z o.o., is in drilling.
The number of shale gas exploration wells drilled in Poland in particular years is as follows:
- 2010 - 3 wells,
- 2011 - 12 wells,
- 2012 - 24 wells,
- 2013 - 14 wells,
- 2014 (by 13 October) - 13 wells.
Currently, there are 58 active hydrocarbon (including shale gas) exploration and/or appraisal concessions in Poland. The concessions have been awarded to 18 Polish and foreign concession holders that are members of 14 capital groups.
Ten exploration concessions were relinquished in the past month, namely:
1. "Nowa Sól" Concession No. 05/2009/p (Lubuskie, Dolnośląskie, Wielkopolskie Provinces), Concession holder: Liesa Energy Sp. z o.o.,
2. "Wschowa" Concession No. 08/2009/p (woj. lubuskie, dolnośląskie, wielkopolskie), koncesjobiorca: San Leon Wschowa Sp. z o.o.,
3. "Góra" Concession No. 30/2008/p (Lubuskie, Dolnośląskie, Wielkopolskie Provinces), Concession holder: Gora Energy Resources Sp. z o.o.,
4. "Prabuty Południowe" Concession No. 09/2010/p (Kujawsko - pomorskie, Warmińsko – mazurskie Provinces), Concession holder: South Prabuty LLP Sp. osobowa z o.o.,
5. "Oleśnica" Concession No. 37/2011/p (Dolnosląskie, Opolskie, Wielkopolskie Provinces), koncesjobiorca: Olesnica Sp. LLP osobowa z o.o.,
6. "Koło" Concession No. 53/2011/p (Łódzkie, Wielkopolskie, Kujawsko – pomorskie Provinces), Concession holder: Strzelecki Energia Sp. z o.o.,
7. "Częstochowa" Concession No. 44/2011/p (Silesian, Opolskie Provinces), Concession holder: Eco Energy 2010 Sp. z o.o.,
8. "Gdynia" Concession No. 52/2011/p (Pomeranian Province), Concession holder: Mac (Poland) Sp. z o.o.,
9. "Prusice" Concession No. 63/2011/p (Dolnosląskie Province), Concession holder: Aurelian Oil&Gas Poland Sp. z o.o.,
10. "Kotlarka" Concession No. 6/2012/p (Dolnośląskie, Wielkopolskie Provinces), Concession holder: Aurelian Oil&Gas Poland Sp. z o.o.
Four shale gas exploration wells are to be drilled in the near future:
- Zwierzyniec-2 Well in the Szczebrzeszyn Commune, Zamość District, Lublin Province; at Zwierzyniec Concession, Investor: Chevron Polska Energy Resources Sp. z o.o.,
- Jackowo LEP-1 (LEP-1ST1H) in the Choczewo Commune, Wejherowo District, Pomeranian Province, Lębork Concession, Investor: Lane Energy Poland Sp. z o.o.,
- Lewino-2h Well in the Linia Commune, Wejherowo District, Pomeranian Province, Gdańsk W Concession, Investor: Baltic Oil&Gas Sp. z o.o.,
- Majdan Sopocki-1 Well in the Susiec Commune, Tomaszow Lubelski District, Lublin Province, Tomaszów Lubelski Concession, Investor: PGNiG S.A.
Special tests have been performed in some of the wells to initially assess the potential for shale gas production. Twenty four wells (36% of all boreholes drilled), including 11 horizontal legs, have been fracture stimulated.
Diagnostic Fracture Injection Tests have been performed in 4 wells. Thirty eight wells are still to be tested.