The POLSKA Dziennik Bałtycki daily announces that the the future of the planned Oil and Gas Laboratory (LabRiG), to be coordinated by Gdańsk University of Technology, hangs on the balance. The project is now on the reserve list of projects planned under the Territorial Contract for the Pomeranian Province, as made between the Province and the Central Government on 19 December 2014.
The purpose of the planned laboratory is to improve shale oil and gas exploration and production technology. Moreover, hands-on education and training would be provided to students, employees and specialists, along with knowledge dissemination. The laboratory would be a unique project in Europe. The total cost of the project is estimated at PLN 500 million and its implementation time at 5 years.
Pomeranian Oil and Gas Consortium members are 4 universities and 1 scientific research institute:
- Gdańsk University of Technology (PG) (coordinator),
- AGH University of Science and Technology in Krakow (AGH),
- Wrocław University of Technology (Pwr),
- Warsaw University of Technology (Pwa), and
- Petroleum and Gas Institute (INiG),
as well as companies and consulting firms:
- PGNiG SA,
- KGHM SA,
- Grupa Lotos SA,
- Det Norske Veritas Poland Ltd. (DNV),
- Innobaltica Ltd.
The Oil and Gas Laboratory is to be composed of a central laboratory with a test well, and of 5 existing support laboratories:
- Surface Physics and Chemistry Laboratory (PWr),
- Reservoir Stimulation Laboratory (INiG),
- Environmental Technology Laboratory (PG),
- Drilling and Geological Laboratory (AGH),
- Material Strength Laboratory (PWa).
The central laboratory would focus on rock and proppant testing, as well as on geomechanical, pressure and other tests. A test well would be used for technology testing, for example of well logging and hydraulic fracture stimulation, as well as for training.
If the project is not funded from the National Operating Programme for 2014 – 2020, it is still possible to include it in the Regional Operating Programme.
source: Polska Dziennik Bałtycki/ Politechnika Gdańska